Posted by Amy White
Online video has grown up – it’s no longer just an avenue for watching funny cat videos or people making fools of themselves. It’s being used everywhere to communicate information, promote products and is becoming a valuable tool to marketers worldwide. So, why should you be using video in your recruitment strategy?
- It’s engaging. Put yourself in a candidates shoes – would you rather read a page of bullet points outlining the company culture, or would you rather see it in action?
- It’s authentic. If you have real staff talking about what the organisation is like as an employer there can be very little doubt that it’s a true representation of how they feel.
- It doesn’t have to be expensive – if you have a half decent camera, or even a late model iPhone that’s all you need! Viewers are actually more likely to engage with material that they see as authentic rather than a professionally polished piece of hype.
- YouTube makes a great partner for your careers site. Did you know the YouTube is actually the number 2 search engine in the world? Setting up a YouTube channel with relevant keywords is a great way to attract more candidates towards your site.
- Communicate more content in less time. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but 1 minute of video is worth 1.8 million words! At least according to Dr. James McQuivey of Forrester Research. (source)
- Reach a broader audience. Not everyone likes to read and not everyone has the patience to trawl through web pages to get the information they need. A video is accessible to the majority of your audience and can be the preferred method to consume information for a lot of people. In fact a recent Forbes report stated that Three-quarters of executives surveyed said they watch work-related videos on business-related websites at least weekly.(source)
- Multiple Devices – video displays well on pretty much all online devices, making your content and message easily accessible to a broad audience.
Watch out for my next post on ideas for content for your recruitment video!
Amy White is the Client Director of Talent Propeller Australia and specialises in helping Talent Propeller clients streamline their recruitment processes and get the best results from their recruitment efforts. You can email her here or connect with her on LinkedIn.